Friday, May 22, 2015

Mi Familia

My Cuencan family is pretty cool. They're just like any other family, but in Spanish. One dad, one mom, three kids (two girls and a boy), one cat, and a dog. Textbook family composition.

The dad is cool. He tries to be funny like all dads do. I get along with him pretty well for not speaking Spanish. The longest conversation we've had was about bars: which bar has the best beer, which bar has the best food, etc. The first few days I was here, I didn't understand anything anyone said at the dinner table. When he noticed, he would try really hard to explain to me what was going on, but I couldn't understand what he was saying either. Usually I tried to look like I was thinking, then reply "sí," but that never convinced anyone.

I definitely had one of the worst introductions of my life on my first day in Spain. When I met the mom, Encarna, I hadn't had any sleep for more than 24 hours, so thinking clearly wasn't something I was capable of. When I met her I instinctively went for a handshake, and she motioned for the cheek-kiss thing. When I realized that I wasn't in America, I pulled my hand back to convert into a Spaniard for the first time, she put her hand out for me to shake. I was already leaning in towards her so I just turned the whole thing into a hug. It was awkward. She had no idea what was going on, and neither did I. Since then, I've found out that the mom is way super nice. She doesn't know any English whatsoever, which is fine, but she doesn't understand broken Spanish very well either so we don't really talk. We mostly just smile cluelessly at each other from time to time. Probably because of the hug.

Maripaz is the oldest child. She's the only one who speaks English which is sssssooooooooo helpful because I wouldn't have otherwise been able to function the first few days. She's extremely studious and will finish high school soon. The first few days, I talked to the family almost exclusively through her, so the family designated her as my tour guide until I knew what I was doing. I'm 98% sure she developed a crush on me, which is the absolute worst since I need to talk to her so often. The day I went from unsure to 98% sure was also the day the parents decided to send us to watch the sunset. It was just me and this socially-underdeveloped high schooler... All alone... The sunset was beautiful, but the conversation was uncomfortable.

Andrea is 16, and she's a walking stereotype. Like every other 16 year old girl, her favorite band is One Direction. She's a fan of shopping, boys, and taking selfies. She can be sassy at times, then pleasant minutes later. She's also pestering me to download Instagram because she wants more followers. We've talked a bit more recently because I'm understanding a lot more Spanish, but when I first got here she would taunt me for not knowing anything. Also, she likes to ask me inappropriate questions in Spanish since she knows I won't understand, so that's obviously fun for me.

Lastly, Pablo. I don't want to not like someone, especially if I have to live with them. But Pablo? Pablo's a punk. I haven't ever really talked to him because his Spanish is always too fast, too muffled, and full of teenage angst. I guess I get it: he's 15 and I have preexisting biases towards kids like him, so that may be the root of my disdain, but, be that as it may, I'll try my best to get to know him better so that I can say I tried.





The sunset over Cuenca

Graffiti (American graffiti artists need to step up their game because this is rad)




Journal entries

Day six

It rained for the first time since I've been here, then it quickly turned to hail. Encarna insisted on doing my laundry despite my many attempts to politely decline. Washing machines are the same here, but dryers aren't. Dryers appear to be normal, when in actuality they are big containers to heat your clothes to the point *just* before they catch fire. I went to pottery class and was sufficiently out of my element. Mario, the teacher, was really nice and invited me and Yuki to grab a beer.

Day seven

Found my way back from class without getting lost for the first time. Spaghetti for lunch got me excited. Cold spaghetti made me sad. Why is everything always served cold? Ate excellent desert confections and tried a drink called "Bitter". It was good but bitter indeed. Saw an accordion for the first time. Talked to the dad about beer and bars. Longest conversation in spanish with anyone in the family to date 👍

Day eight

Today in class I understood so much more than ever before. Got invited to go to a handball game on Saturday. Toured a museum.

Day nine

Bought a battery for the phone my family gave me. Thought "catorce euros" was forty euros :( had pizza for dinner and IT WAS WARM!!! :D except one pizza was cold, but whatevs. Had ice cream with the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment